THE TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE SMALL SHIP CRUISE TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA
APRIL 15-25, 2023
STATUS as of July 30, 2020: 6 cabins are open for sale out of 36. See diagram below. CONTACT email@example.com if you have not been previously confirmed in a particular cabin before signing up!
-ONE FEMALE NEEDING A FEMALE ROOMMATE
Join Ring of Fire Expeditions 52rd solar eclipse expedition to Broome, Western Australia and witness a fabulous 1 minute 05 seconds of full eclipse of the Sun aboard the 72 passenger Coral Discoverer! This is a true small ship in every sense and we have an exciting itinerary planned out. This expedition will be led by Paul D. Maley of the NASA Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society and will be his 82nd solar eclipse. Avoid the mobs of eclipse-goers on the narrow strip of land where it crosses Australia and come with us. Although we are also offering a ground tour, the cruise trip will experience about 7 more seconds of totality.
What kind of eclipse is this? Just to be clear, this is what is called a hybrid eclipse. That is, it is annular and it is also total. But it is important to know that the path of this eclipse extends thousands of miles. In western Australia and the sea on the western and northwestern side of the continent, you can ONLY see a true total solar eclipse. We cannot possibly reach the transition point where there is a necklace of Baily’s Beads surrounding the entire disc of the Moon. This would be really cool to see. The two zones where this is possible are far out in the Pacific Ocean north of Butaritari Island at the sunset point and in the Indian Ocean near the sunrise point about 80km northwest of Kerguelen Island. Both of these places are quite remote and completely impractical for us to reach. In addition, the cloud forecast is not good for those areas. The overall cloud cover forecast for the area where we are headed is pretty good.
> Snorkel or dive the pristine and rarely visited Rowley Shoals, accompanied by our onboard Marine Biologist
> Scuba dive the remarkable reefs of Muiron Islands, or ‘dusk dive’ the Navy Pier at Exmouth (additional cost) to encounter a huge variety of marine life
> Encounter the mega fauna of Ningaloo Reef – with the chance to swim with whale sharks and manta rays (this experience is subject to nature)
> Swim out to coral gardens from the beach at Coral Bay
> Discover sites of cultural significance to indigenous Australians, including the Dampier Archipelago petroglyphs, with expert interpretation
> Encounter a proliferation of wildlife, including rare birds and marine life on the remote islands and atolls
> Relax on pristine white-sand beaches in the Muiron Islands, Dampier Archipelago, and Turquoise Bay
ITINERARY: 11 DAYS/10 NIGHTS BROOME TO BROOME (preliminary itinerary as of 1/21/20 and is subject to change)
DAY 1 (April 15, 2023): DEPART BROOME
Board in Broome at 4:00pm for a 5:00pm departure.
DAYS 2-10: KEY DESTINATIONS OF YOUR EXPEDITION
At the edge of the continental shelf, 170 nautical miles offshore, lie the Rowley Shoals, a chain of three coral atolls including Clerke, Mermaid and Imperieuse Reefs. The shoals offer some of the best snorkeling and diving opportunities in the world. Their shallow lagoons are inhabited by myriad coral species and marine life, including giant potato cod, Maori wrasse, at least 233 species of coral and 688 species of fish. Water clarity here is unparalleled, making for superb underwater photography opportunities. Conditions permitting, we will spend 1-2 days here for snorkeling and diving opportunities. Guided by our marine biologist, snorkel away the day in the coral gardens of the Aquarium at Clerke Reef, try a drift snorkel in the channel, or beach comb on Bedwell Island.
MONTEBELLO and TRIMOUILLE ISLANDS
The Montebello Islands are an archipelago of more than 250 limestone islands and islets off the coast of the Pilbara. A bird watcher’s delight, the islands are an important bird area, as they support over 1% of the world populations of fairy and roseate terns, as well as sooty oyster-catchers. The Montebellos have an ‘explosive’ past – Alpha and Trimouille Islands were the site of British atomic weapons tests in the 1950s. Relics of the military operation can still be found on the islands. Spend a full day exploring here, with wildlife spotting opportunities including endangered rufous hare-wallabies and stingrays. There are also opportunities to swim from the beautiful beaches.
THE TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE
This will be the highlight of our cruise! We plan to steer to a place where we can see the most totality—approximately 1 minute 4 seconds (determined by our location) which is about 7 seconds longer than our land tour group. The path width in the figure above is a mere 42km/26 miles. Initially we will anchor off Barrow Island and watch the spectacle from here. The Moon will begin its passage in front of the Sun’s disc starting at 10:07am local time (GMT+8); then starting at 11:33am totality will begin. The Sun/Moon will join at an elevation of 55 degrees, azimuth 20 degrees. Finally the Sun will regain its normal brilliance at 1:06pm.
You can also take eclipse photos from the ship. Bob Hulse shot this on our July 2019 cruise with one participant putting eclipse glasses in front of an Iphone.
Shadow bands in the sky, Baily’s Beads and chromosphere as photographed by Bob Hulse.
Located off North West Cape, the waters surrounding the uninhabited Muiron Islands are teeming with marine life. A variety of dive sites are on offer, including swim-throughs and ledges
where nudibranchs and angelfish hide. Snorkelers will appreciate many soft corals and gorgonians as well as colorful fish. After in water activities, stretch your legs on a stroll down the beach.
The forty-two iron-red islands of the Dampier Archipelago stand in bright contrast to the turquoise waters which surround them. The archipelago supports the largest Hawksbill turtle rookery in the Indo-Pacific, while birdwatchers may spot several species of migratory waders, as well as sea eagles and ospreys. With luck we may even see the elusive Rothschild’s rock wallaby. The archipelago not only offers exceptional natural beauty but significant National Heritage Listed Areas. The islands’ earliest inhabitants were the Yaburara people, as is evidenced by thousands of rock engravings, shell middens and stone arrangements scattered across the islands. During our time here, explore the pastoral, pearling and cultural history that remains in the form of ruins and petroglyphs. There will also be opportunities to enter the azure waters for snorkeling, kayaking and diving.
NINGALOO REEF, EXMOUTH, & CORAL BAY
The World Heritage listed Ningaloo Reef spans over 5,000 square kilometers/1930 square miles, with inner and outer reefs that create diverse habitats for vibrant corals and more than 500 species of fish. Mega marine fauna feed here during their migrations, including humpback whales, giant manta rays, and the majestic whale shark. We will spend 2-3 days here exploring this stunning coastline from Exmouth to Coral Bay. Snorkel and dive the outer reefs and relax on stunning beaches such as Turquoise Bay. With an experienced local operator, you may have the opportunity to swim with whale sharks and manta rays (these encounters are subject to nature). IMPORTANT NOTE: whale shark swims are not able to be conducted by the ship. This is an outside vendor so the cost for this will be extra.
Swimming with whale sharks.
DAY 11 (April 25, 2023): ARRIVE BROOME
Disembark in Broome at 8:00am
CABIN LOCATIONS ON THE SHIP
Cabins without an X are available
Bridge Deck Balcony Stateroom
Located on the exclusive Bridge Deck close to the Lounge and Bridge, our six spacious Bridge Deck staterooms are 20sqm (195 square feet) in size and open out onto private balconies for expansive ocean views, along with a sofa, desk, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
Promenade Deck (Category A) Stateroom
Encircled by a full-ship promenade, our 19 spacious Promenade Deck (Category A) staterooms are 18sqm (195 square feet) in size and feature picture windows for expansive ocean views, along with a sofa, desk, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
Promenade Deck (Category B) Stateroom
Located in the bow of the ship and encircled by a full-ship promenade, our two Promenade Deck (Category B) staterooms are 15sqm (160 square feet) in size and feature picture windows for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, telephone and Junior King bedding.
Main Deck (Category A) Stateroom
Located close to the Dining Room, our six spacious Main Deck (Category A) staterooms are 18sqm (195 square feet) in size and feature large, twin porthole windows for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, sofa, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
Main Deck (Category B) Stateroom
Located close to the Dining Room, our three spacious Main Deck (Category B) staterooms are 18sqm (195 square feet) in size and feature twin portholes for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, sofa, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
A01-A06…………………………………………………………………………JUNIOR KING DOUBLE BED
B03, B04, B07, B08, B12, B14, B17, B18, B21, B22 ……2 SINGLE BEDS
B05, B06, B09, B10, B15, B16, B19, B20……………………..JUNIOR KING DOUBLE BED
B01*, B02*, B11*, B13…………………………………………………..JUNIOR KING DOUBLE BED
C01*, C02, C06, C07……………………………………………………..JUNIOR KING DOUBLE BED
C03, C04, C05, C08, C09………………………………………………..2 SINGLE BEDS
*The bed configuration in these 4 cabins cannot be changed, but the rest can be.
CABIN AVAILABILITY TABLE WITH PRICES
|CABIN TYPE||CABIN NUMBER||PRICE PERSON*||CASH DISCOUNT PRICE PER PERSON*||AVAILABILITY|
|BRIDGE DECK BALCONY|
|PROMENADE DECK B 2 CABINS||B01||USD$14,438||USD$13,750||AVAILABLE|
|PROMENADE DECK A 19 CABINS||B03||USD$14,699||USD$13,999||RESERVED|
|MAIN DECK B 3 CABINS||C01||USD$12,600||USD$12,000||RESERVED|
|MAIN DECK A 6 CABINS||C04||USD$14,175||USD$13,500||RESERVED|
PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE REQUIRED TRIP PROTECTION PLAN INSURANCE. SEE BELOW.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- All shore excursions including hiking, kayaking, and bird watching
- Presentations, briefings and workshops by the ship’s highly experienced Expedition Team
- Snorkeling and introductory scuba lesson
- All meals with morning and afternoon tea
- Select beers, wines, juices and soft drinks with lunch and dinner service, and 24 hours tea and coffee
- Daily room service
- Gratuities to ship’s crew
- Roundtrip airport transfers between Broome airport and the pier
- Open bridge access and engine room tours
- Eclipse briefing and solar eclipse observation
- “Eclipse glasses” for observing the partial phases
- No formal dress code: dress code is always ‘eclipse casual’
- All Zodiac landings (you must be ambulatory to walk down/up stairs and be able to get in/out of Zodiacs on your own)
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Airfare of any kind
- Wi-fi charges
- pre or post night accommodations
- Passport, visa, personal expenses
- Laundry services
- Medical services and fees
- trip cancellation and delay, medical evacuation insurance which is mandatory (passengers are required to secure this from Future Travel or approve international insurance if you are a foreign national)
- Any item not specified in the WHAT IS INCLUDED section
Scuba Skills: FOC
Non Certified Diver fees (2023 pricing):
First Dive: AUD$109
Second Dive: AUD$109
Certified Diver fees:
Supply All: AUD$93
Supply Weight Belt and Tanks: AUD$83
You will need to fly to Broome (airport code BME). You may elect to use frequent flier miles or purchase a ticket from Future Travel who will endeavor to get group air where possible. Air costs for that time will not be available until 11 months prior to the eclipse. We suggest flying into Melbourne (MEL) where the group would connect to a QANTAS flight to BME. Arriving one day early is recommended into Melbourne to decompress and then proceed to Broome the next day in order to arrive on the day of the cruise. A group transfer will occur from the Broome airport to the ship. Future Travel will provide the connection that will allow everyone to arrive at the same time to make the transfer. If you arrive outside of this Broome arrival you will have to proceed to the ship on your own or wait for the included group transfer. At the end of the cruise there will be one group transfer to the airport. It would be best to take the flight from Broome to Melbourne so as to avoid excessive delays at BME. Broome airport is located about 2-3 miles from the pier.
Flights from San Francisco or Los Angeles to Melbourne take about 16 hours.
Flights from Melbourne to Broome are via Perth and take about 7.5 hours. So it may be good for an overnight stay in Melbourne before proceeding to Broome. Michelle Weller of Future Travel will advise as the time comes closer for flight booking.
PAYMENT SCHEDULE AND CANCELLATION FEES
Important: Please note the payment dates below that are driven by the ship charter contract.
- A deposit of $2500. is required per person upon registration. Cancellation fee is $1900 per person up until January 1, 2021
- January 2, 2022: second deposit is due of $5,000 per person. Cancellation fee is $3500 per person up until June 2, 2021 (or $7000 per cabin if the occupant is traveling alone)
- June 30, 2022: full payment for the cruise is due in full. Cancellation fee is 100% per person as of June 30, 2022.
Once payments are made, in the event you wish to cancel, they cannot be transferred to another tour unrelated to the cruise due to contract agreement with the cruise carrier.
Travel Protection Plan coverage is required for this program upon deposit. Pricing for such coverage is additional to the cruise fare and is calculated based on resident state/province and age of participants. By signing up for the cruise, you agree to purchase the Travel Protection Plan by credit card upon receipt of deposit.
REGISTRATION & DEPOSIT
- Click HERE to REGISTER. One registration form must be submitted for each person in your party. ON THE REGISTRATION FORM IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THE USA ONLY, ENTER ANY 10 DIGIT PHONE NUMBER.
- Finally, complete payment by one of the two methods shown below.
We cannot confirm you unless the registration form and deposit are all received.
All prices are quoted in US Dollars and the $500 deposit can be paid in the following ways:
- PAY BY CREDIT CARD: Future Travel, Inc. – A Direct Travel Company does accept VISA, Master Card, American Express, and Discover. We will need you to view, complete the Credit Card Authorization form:
2. FOR CASH DISCOUNT PRICE, PAY BY ELECTRONIC CHECK: Use our secure electronic payment form. It is faster/safer than going through the regular mail. The web link is:
IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES you may pay by one of these methods: 1) credit cards, 2) electronic check transfer from a bank in the United States, or 3) wire transfer. A USD$50 fee is charged if a wire transfer is used for each payment. No checks or money orders can be accepted! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
WHAT TO EXPECT
For most activities a relatively low level of exertion is required. You will need to climb into and out of Zodiacs and other excursion tenders for excursions ashore: there will be staff and crew members on hand to assist. Ashore, you must be able to walk moderate distances over sometimes rough terrain. Although our ship Coral Adventurer features an elevator, it is still essential that all guests have reasonable agility to use the steep stairways between decks. Participants will most enjoy the remarkable opportunities these expeditions offer if they travel with a spirit of adventure.
PASSENGER HEALTH AND RESPONSIBILITY
The passenger admits a full understanding of the nature and character of the Ship and the scope of the activities contemplated by the passenger during the Cruise (including those relating to off Ship activities such as excursions in the Ship’s tenders, snorkeling and diving) and assures and undertakes to the carrier:-
- that they are in good health and well able to undertake the Cruise and the contemplated activities;
- that they will effect travel insurance sufficient to cover any limitation of liability against them imposed by these Cruise Ticket Conditions should they wish to do so;
- that they accept the risk that they may suffer from sea sickness;
- that they have disclosed any physical or mental disability requiring special attention (including the use of a wheelchair) or treatment at the time when the reservation for the Cruise was made;
- that no passenger will be permitted to embark or continue on a voyage while their mental or physical condition is, in the opinion of any representative of the carrier, such as to render them incapable of caring for themselves, or whereby they become objectionable to other passengers, or they become a hazard to themselves or others. The carrier will not be responsible for any expenses resulting in such persons being precluded from completing the cruise;
- that the passenger accepts that a medical certificate certifying fitness for travel may be required at the carrier’s request and if any passenger has had surgery less than twelve (12) months prior to sailing that passenger must submit a letter from a qualified physician stating that he or she is fit to travel and the carrier reserves the right to deny passage if a passenger requires care and attention which the carrier cannot adequately provide and this decision may be made by the carrier in its sole discretion;
- The carrier reserves the right to refuse or deny participation in activities or programs either aboard the Ship or off Ship which are sponsored or promoted by the carrier to any passenger who has a past or present medical condition that may present risks if the passenger participates in those activities and any decision in this respect may be made by the carrier in its sole discretion;
- Any charges incurred by passengers for medical reasons including but not limited to physicians, surgeons, hospitals, off Ship accommodation, medication, diagnostic facilities, air ambulance evacuation or ground ambulance shall be the sole responsibility of the passenger;
- for the safety and comfort of passengers smoking is not permitted in the Ship except on designated open deck spaces outside all air-conditioned and sealed areas of the Ship;
- and the passenger agrees to indemnify the carrier from and against all claims, costs, charges, fines or penalties arising as a result of any claim made against the carrier in this respect.
FUTURE TRAVEL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ANY TOUR MEMBER WHO ENGAGES IN EXTREMELY RUDE/OFFENSIVE/REPETITIVE/ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR OR INTERFERES WITH TOUR REPRESENTATIVES ABILITY TO FUNCTION WILL BE EJECTED FROM THE TOUR ON THE SPOT AND WILL BE BANNED FROM PARTICIPATING IN FUTURE TOURS. SUCH BEHAVIOR IS NOT PERMITTED AT ANY TIME.
Your signature on our registration form will signify your agreement with the following terms and conditions. These are the terms and conditions applicable to the land expeditions offered by Future Travel, Inc. a Texas corporation (“we”, “us” and “our”). The terms “client” “you” and “your” refer to each person who purchases and/or participates in the Cruise.
1. Eclipse Tour ITINERARY: The itinerary on the Eclipse Tour Website and any other materials is hereby included in this agreement. However, the Tour Operator, reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary as explained in this agreement.
2. Eclipse Tour PRICE: Prices are based on two persons sharing accommodations. There is additional cost for a single accommodation (single supplement) or an extra person in the room if either of these features is available. Prices may be subject to increase as described in this agreement.
3. DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT REQUIREMENTS: If you sign up before the dates posted on the Eclipse Tour webpage, a deposit in the amount stated on the webpage is due along with your signed reservation form in order to secure your reservation, which is subject to availability at the time we receive the form and deposit. Dates and deposit amounts vary depending upon the trip. Failure to meet those deposit dates will result in cancellation of your reservation and loss of deposit as defined under the cancellation penalties portion of the webpage. If the Tour is sold out at the time we receive your reservation form and deposit, we will contact you and ask if you wish to be added to a waiting list. We reserve the right to accept or decline any prospective participant for any nondiscriminatory reason in our sole discretion. All reservations must be paid in full by the date specified. Spaces not paid in full by this date are subject to cancellation without refund and will be charged a $250 late-payment fee.
4. Eclipse Tour CANCELLATION BY YOU: We are making arrangements with travel suppliers that require us to incur very substantial costs of operation. Therefore, if you cancel, we will retain all of your payments as liquidated damages. If we receive notice of the change after specified date, we will not provide a refund. There is no refund for unused portions of the Eclipse Tour once final payment has been received or it has commenced. You are solely responsible for costs incurred by you due to missed, canceled or delayed transportation, this includes your inability to acquire the proper visa or passport not being valid 6 months past the return date, non of which are the responsibility of Future Travel. Your decision not to participate on the Eclipse Tour due to State Department/other US or foreign government warnings, fear of travel, illness, or any other reason will be deemed a cancellation. If a flight or other delay for any reason prevents you from joining the Eclipse Tour on the departure date and time, you will be considered a no-show (so make sure you arrive days early to avoid this issue as joining up with a boat in Antarctica will me nearly impossible), and we cannot provide a full or partial refund or credit toward a future Tour, but you may join the Eclipse Tour late at your expense. There are NO exceptions to our cancellation policies.
5. OTHER CHANGES: There will be a change fee of $150.00 per person charged for any change in travel arrangements made after ticketing and at least 30 days prior to departure in addition to charges incurred by our suppliers. No changes will be allowed within 30 days of the departure date.
6. INSURANCE: It is required that you purchase insurance through Future Travel. Due to the remoteness of location and the fact that we have chartered the entire ship, insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 USD Emergency evacuation and $50,0000 USD emergency medical insurance is required. We also strongly recommend insurance for trip cancellation as penalties are steep and final payment is due long before sailing. We will send you insurance information if you check the box on our reservation form. However, any questions about what travel insurance does or does not cover should be addressed directly to the travel insurance company. If you decline insurance coverage for trip cancellation, you will personally assume full responsibility for any financial loss associated with your travel arrangements, and you could lose your travel investment and/or have to pay more money to correct the situation. For example, you will suffer a loss if: (i) your flight has been cancelled and your hotel and Tours are nonrefundable; (ii) you need to cancel your trip due to illness; (iii) a hurricane, volcano or earthquake occurs while traveling and you are stranded; (iv) your cruise line, airline, or Tour operator files for bankruptcy, unless you have paid by credit card; (v) a terrorist incident occurs at the destination you planned on visiting; (vi) you have a medical emergency in a foreign country and need medical attention or evacuation; (vii) your bags are lost and your medication is in them, and you need to have an emergency prescription filled; or (viii) your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport. We offer Travel Guard Travel Insurance to U.S and Canadian residents and will provide costs associated with insuring your trip, both at time of deposit and final payment. If you live in another country, you will have to purchase your own insurance in your home country and will have to be approved by Future Travel Inc.
7. Eclipse Tour PRICE INCREASES: In the event that the cost of any aspect of the Eclipse Tour should incur an unexpected cost increase, Future Travel is obliged to pass on these increases. While rare, they can occur and are beyond the control of Future Travel. When such increase is known, Future Travel will alert all participants and provide the amount and reason for the increase. It will be required that all Tour members provide payment by the date due per communication from Future Travel. Prices are also subject to increase for currency fluctuations and the cost of supplier services.
8. Eclipse Tour AIRFARES: Airline arrangements are usually optional and not included in the tour price unless specifically stated. Airlines and airfares included in your trip are subject to change without notice. Please check with us for conditions applicable to your airline ticket. Airfares are subject to price increases until you have paid in full. Even after you have paid in full, airfares are subject to supplemental price increases imposed by governments, and you hereby consent to any such price increases. We will not change your requested seat assignments on commercial aircraft without permission. However, airlines often change seat assignments to satisfy their loyalty members or because of equipment changes (aircraft type). We are not notified of these changes in advance, and often clients are not made aware of these changes until they arrive at the airport. We are not responsible for seat assignment changes made by the airline. Frequent flyer programs are private agreements between airlines and passengers, and we cannot be held responsible for mileage discrepancies involving airline loyalty reward programs.
9. Eclipse Tour ECLIPSE (or other astronomical event) VIEWING: We understand that you have decided to participate based on your ability to view the astronomical event advertised as the highlight of the Eclipse Tour . While we will do our best to arrange for the viewing, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cloud cover, that the group will be in the planned position, or that there will not be another reason beyond our control that prevents viewing. Therefore, we will not be liable or responsible for any loss, damage, cost, or expense of any kind in the event that such viewing is not possible for any reason including but not limited to any act of God, war, fire, collision, directions of underwriters, arrest, order or restraint by any government agency or official acting under color of authority, acts of terrorism, labor disturbances or disputes, civil commotion, weather conditions and considerations of the safety of the ground transportation being used, (for which the Ground Operator shall be the sole judge), breakdowns of or damage to the transport vehicle, requisition of the vehicle by governmental authority, illness, death of a family member or other cause or circumstance beyond our control.
10. Eclipse Tour CHANGES OR CANCELLATION BY GROUND OPERATOR OR US: The Ground Operator in its sole discretion may cancel, advance, or postpone any part of the tour, change the itinerary, and may (but is not obligated to) substitute another transport vehicle, and we will not be liable for any loss whatsoever to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, or substitution. If the Eclipse Tour is completely canceled by our Ground Operator, we will provide a full refund, or, if the Eclipse Tour is partially canceled, we will provide a partial refund depending on any refund provided to us by the Ground Operator. Under such circumstances, Future Travel shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind. We reserve the right to cancel the Eclipse Tour for inadequate participation, in which case we will provide a full refund of the Eclipse Tour price and shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind. Please note that the availability of any refund for travel insurance and/or other travel products (airfare and hotel), even if purchased in conjunction with the Eclipse Tour, will be determined in accordance with the applicable cancellation policies for such other products or services. Sightseeing is subject to change due to weather conditions, accessibility, border crossing limitations, and hours of operation. Sightseeing will be by motor coach or other transportation as stated in the itinerary.
11. OTHER RIGHTS OF Ground Operators: You may request a copy of the Ground Operator’s Passage Contract, which constitutes your agreement with the Ground Operator. The contract provides that the Ground Operator may exercise its rights in a variety of matters. We have no liability for a full or partial refund of the tour fare, or for any lodging or transportation expenses, as a result of the Ground Operator’s exercise of its contractual rights.
12. SAFETY WHILE ON the Eclipse Tour: You assume sole responsibility for your own safety during the Eclipse Tour. We do not guarantee your safety at any time. You acknowledge that all Excursions /Tours, however conducted, airline flights and ground transportation, are operated by independent contractors. Future Travel neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation, either express or implied, as to their suitability. These services are provided only as a convenience for you, and you are free to use or not use them. You agree that Future Travel assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to you and/or your property in connection with these services.
13. PASSPORTS AND VISAS: International travel requires a passport valid 6 months beyond your intended return travel date. In many cases, you will also need to have multiple consecutive blank visa pages within your passport (the number varies depending on the destination(s)). Many destinations also require that visas be obtained prior to travel. Please speak with us if you are unsure about the visa requirements for your travel destination, but you are solely responsible for complying with passport and visa requirements. Your name, as listed on your travel documents, must exactly match your name as listed on tour or airline documents. Citizens of other countries must make their nationalities known to Future Travel at registration and are responsible for obtaining proper documentation to enter the U.S. and any other countries involved.
14. MEDICAL CERTIFICATION AND PASSENGERS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS: By booking this Eclipse Tour, you certify that: (a) you are in good general health and capable of performing normal activities on the Eclipse Tour; (b) you are capable of caring for yourself during any expedition and will not impede the progress of the trip or enjoyment of other Eclipse Tour participants; (c) you understand that any expedition may take you far from the nearest viable medical facility; and (d) all expedition members must be self-sufficient; and (e) you have not been recently treated for, nor are aware of, any physical, mental or other condition or disability that would create a hazard to yourself or other Eclipse Tour participants. Any condition that may require attention or treatment must be reported in writing at the time your reservation is made. Transport may be refused to any person whose state of health or physical conditions render them, in the opinion of the Ground Operator, unfit. Participation in this or any other Eclipse Tour will be denied to any person who will enter her third trimester (twenty-seventh week) of pregnancy by the time of the Eclipse Tour or during the Eclipse Tour and to children under the age specified on the Eclipse Tour Webpage—usually 16. You must notify Future Travel at the time of booking of any disability or other medical or physical condition that may require special assistance during the Eclipse Tour. Your failure to do so will release Future Travel from any liability for loss, damages or other compensation arising from or related in any way to such disability or condition. Future Travel and our Ground Operator(s) reserve the right to require that any passenger who is not self-sufficient must travel with a companion who takes responsibility for any assistance needed during the Eclipse Tour and in case of emergency. You understand that if you fraudulently represent yourself as fit for this tour, you may be removed prior to or during the Tour at your own expense.
15. CONDITION OR BEHAVIOR: We may exclude you from participating in all or any part of the trip if, in our sole discretion, your condition or behavior renders you unfit for the trip or unfit for continuation once the trip has begun. Unfitness may include, without limitation, any behavior that, regardless of its cause, is inappropriate or offensive or interferes with the delivery of our services, or may constitute a hazard or embarrassment. In such case, our liability shall be strictly limited to a refund of the recoverable cost of any unused portion of the trip.
16. CHILDREN: We normally accept children if they are the age of 16 and older (thought the minimum age may vary by Tour), although some Tours are for adults only and are specified as such. Children must be accompanied and supervised by parents or guardians, who will bear ultimate responsibility for their actions, and are expected to display proper decorum while the group is together, especially at the observation site and on all transport vehicles.
17. LUGGAGE ON BOARD: Each guest may bring onboard a reasonable amount of baggage. It is recommended that participants do not bring expensive jewelry or like possessions with them. Telescopes and observation equipment should be securely packed; insurance on expensive items is highly recommended. All luggage must be stored in the passenger’s accommodations. Pets, dangerous or illegal items such as weapons, explosives, combustible substances, non-prescription controlled substances, or illegal drugs may not be brought on the Eclipse Tour. Any such items shall be surrendered to security at embarkation and may be disposed of at the sole discretion of the cruise line. All luggage hand-carried or checked, and your person are subject to security inspections that may involve physical search. Curbside porters are available at the pier during embarkation to take luggage to the vessel. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name, and contact information. We assume no responsibility for checked or carry-on luggage. Any luggage left anywhere on Tour will be forwarded at the guest’s expense if discovered. IF YOU ARE BRINGING A TELESCOPE OR ANY UNUSUAL EQUIPMENT, YOU MUST PROVIDE A LIST OF SUCH ITEMS TO FUTURE TRAVEL SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE THEY ARE ALLOWABLE. WE WILL PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS RELATED TO CUSTOMS FORMALITIES.
18. TRANSFERS: When transfers between hotels and airports are included in the Eclipse Tour price, transportation of participants and their baggage is provided only when participants travel with the rest of the group (or language in the tour terms indicates that you can arrive at any time). If your schedule is different from this, private transfers are available at extra cost and must be requested in writing. Carry-on bags must be carried by Eclipse Tour participants. Porterage may be included AFTER passing through the customs area upon arrival if so indicated in the inclusions. Porterage is generally not included unless otherwise stated in the individual itinerary inclusions. In some situations, porterage may not be possible. Be sure to consult the cruise information to be sure.
19. TAXES AND TIPS: If a land package is involved, tips are not included (unless stated), but taxes for hotel accommodations and airfare are generally included. Departure taxes within foreign countries are NOT included since they vary widely. Each airport departure may require a separate departure tax which will have to be collected from each participant prior to boarding an airline or ship. Tips are NOT included for guides, or drivers. Future Travel will provide guidance on tips, when they should be given and how collected. Although the amounts and timing may differ, this is left to each person’s discretion. There will be times when the Tour escort or guide will alert participants as to whom and how much to tip. These actions are necessary in order to maintain good service and assure that all promised services will occur as scheduled.
20. WHAT ELSE IS NOT INCLUDED ON OUR TOUR: Cost of passports or visas, excess baggage, meals and beverages not specified in the itinerary, phone calls, voluntary changes in flights or other methods of transport, laundry, insurance costs, and items or services of a personal nature not specified in the cruise itinerary.
21. MEDICAL CARE: You assume all risks associated with travel and transportation on the Tour. While on the Eclipse Tour or along the way to/from the Eclipse Tour, the availability of medical care may be limited and/or delayed. You acknowledge that all or part of the Eclipse Tour may be in areas where medical care and/or evacuation may not be available. You agree to indemnify and reimburse Future Travel and its ground operators in the event that these entities by their sole discretion, advance to you the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation and/or medical care provided ashore, as well as transportation and/or lodging in connection therewith. Future Travel shall have no responsibility to advance any such costs.
22. ROOMMATES: If you are traveling by yourself but wish to share a room with someone else, we will attempt to match men with male roommates and women with female roommates, along with smoking/non-smoking preferences. However, the ground operator prohibits all smoking on tour. If we cannot find a roommate for whatever reason we will advise you and have to charge you the single supplement fee. You may wish to look for a roommate from your local astronomical society, family or friends. Your decision to accept a roommate for the tour is at your own risk. Future Travel is not responsible or liable for any and all claims or cause of action arising out of or in connection with your acceptance or selection of a roommate for the tour, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from such request or selection.
23. SMOKING: Smoking is prohibited on our Eclipse Tour buses, the astronomical event observation site, and in briefing and lecture rooms as well as in hotel rooms and any other places where the group is congregating.
24. INFORMATION: Information that we publish in our Eclipse Tour brochures, collateral material and the Eclipse Tour Website is believed to be accurate and reliable. We make no representations or warranties regarding such information or any information provided by a third party. Unless expressly stated in writing, we do not endorse the products or services offered by any company or person identified in our brochures, collateral material or Website, nor are we responsible for any content published by a third party.
25. RESPONSIBILITY: We act only in the capacity of agent for the suppliers of the travel services named in your itinerary or otherwise providing services or goods in connection with the tour (the “suppliers”), such as airlines, hotels and other lodging providers, local hosts, sightseeing tour operators, bus lines, car rental companies, driving services, restaurants, and providers of entertainment. We assume no responsibility for any personal injury, property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any act or omission of any of the Suppliers.
26. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: In no event will we be liable for any injury, loss, claim, damage, or any special, punitive, exemplary, direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability, or otherwise, that arise out of or are in any way connected with the tour even if advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will our aggregate liability exceed the total tour price set forth in the itinerary for any occurrence including, but not limited to: (1) injury, death or delay of passengers, or loss, damage or delay of or to passengers’ baggage or other property, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Eclipse Tour including, without limitation, passenger’s use of or participation in any excursion, on concession or athletic or recreational activity; (2) your request for or selection of a roommate for the tour; (3) emotional distress, mental suffering or anguish or psychological injury of any kind under any circumstances (except when such damages were caused by Future Travel’s negligence and resulted from the same passenger’s sustaining actual physical injury, or having been at risk of actual physical injury, or when such damages are held to have been intentionally inflicted by Future Travel); (4) any change in scheduled Eclipse Tour events and/or celebrity appearances; (5) the Tour Operators’ exercise of its contractual rights; or (6) or (if you are entering into this agreement on behalf of yourself and your, group, party, or traveling companions) any claim arising out of their assertion that you were not authorized to agree on their behalf. You further agree that Future Travel shall not be held vicariously liable for the intentional or negligent acts of any persons not employed by Future Travel, nor for any intentional or negligent acts of Future Travel’s employees committed while off duty or outside the course and scope of their employment. In the event that a court of competent jurisdiction holds any of the foregoing to be unenforceable, then Future Travel’s liability shall be limited to the maximum extent permitted by law. In addition to the restrictions and exemptions from liability provided in these Terms and Conditions, Future Travel shall have the full benefit of any applicable laws providing for limitation and exoneration from liability, and nothing in contained herein is intended to operate to limit or deprive Future Travel of any such statutory limitation of or exoneration from liability.
27. FORCE MAJEURE: We assume no responsibility for any personal injury, property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any matter beyond our exclusive control including but not limited to a delay or cancellation that causes you to miss all or any portion of the Eclipse Tour, acts of God, acts of government, war, terrorist acts, riots, disaster, weather extremes, or strikes. We have no special knowledge regarding the financial condition of the suppliers, unsafe conditions, health hazards, weather hazards, or climate extremes at locations to which you may travel. You understand that health care standards, facilities, and services abroad may be different or even inadequate for treating health conditions. It is the responsibility of each Tour participant to obtain health and medical certificates, inoculations and vaccinations. For information concerning possible dangers at foreign destinations, we recommend contacting the Travel Warnings Section of the U.S. State Department at (202) 647-5225 or www.travel.state.gov, and click on “Travel Warnings.” For medical information, we recommend contacting the Centers for Disease Control at (877) FYI-TRIP or www.cdc.gov/travel.
28. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited by law, you (the Lead Passenger and all members of your party) expressly agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action against Future Travel arising out of or connected with the Tour shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Houston, Texas, U.S.A. to the exclusion of the courts of any other state, territory or country; (2) you waive any venue or other objection that you may have to any such action or proceeding being brought in any court located in Houston, Texas; (3) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with the Eclipse Tour, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (4) you waive the right to claim any other damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct or indirect damages. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas. You agree to present any claims against us within 30 days after the Eclipse Tour ends and to file within one year of the incident, and you acknowledge that this expressly limits the applicable statute of limitations to one year. NEITHER PARTY MAY INITIATE OR BE PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR LEGAL PROCEEDING AGAINST THE OTHER.
29. INDEMNIFICATION: You shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless us and our officers, employees, directors, suppliers and agents, in their individual capacities or otherwise, from and against any losses arising out of: (i) your negligence; (ii) your failure to comply with applicable law; or (iii) your failure to comply with these terms conditions.
30. ASSUMPTION OF RISK: You acknowledge that you have voluntarily applied for this Eclipse Tour. You understand that you may travel to countries and areas that are inherently risky. You are prepared to assume risks associated with the Eclipse Tour including forces of nature, terrorism, civil unrest, war, accidents, and transportation including land vehicles, boats, and aircraft that are not operated and maintained to the standards found in North America, and you hereby assume such risks. You also assume risks associated with altitude, illness, disease, physical exertion, and alcohol consumption, knowing that access to evacuation and/or suitable medical supplies and support may not be available. You agree to take full responsibility for your own actions, safety and welfare. You also understand that you will be a member of a group and will conduct myself in a way that will not endanger the group or yourself.
31. MISCELLANEOUS: We may assign our rights and/or delegate all or a portion of its duties under these Terms and Conditions to any third party at any time without the consent or permission of any parties to these Terms and Conditions. If there is a conflict between these Terms and Conditions and one or more terms contained in another agreement between you and us, these Terms and Conditions will control. No alteration, cancellation, variation of, or addition to these terms and conditions shall be of any force or effect unless reduced to writing and signed by us. If there is a conflict between any part of these terms and conditions and any present or future law, the part that is affected shall be curtailed only to the extent necessary to bring it within the requirements of that law.You hereby consent to our use of pictures or video of you in our marketing materials without compensation. Facsimile or scanned transmission of any signed document shall be deemed delivery of an original.