UNIQUE WEDDING PROPOSALS ABOARD THE SILVERSEA DISCOVERER
The scene at a total eclipse of the Sun at sea. Photo courtesy of B. Tefreshi.
Are you over the Moon for someone you love? Then give him or her the coolest experience under the Sun: a wedding proposal during the March 9, 2016 total solar eclipse!
During a once-in-a-lifetime cruise you can have the opportunity to plan a secret proposal, then on the magic day when the Moon and Sun come together in alignment you will have precisely 4 minutes and 7 seconds to ask your future partner to share your lives together.
You will have 17 days of alone time as your luxury expedition cruise ship, the Silversea DISCOVERER, transports you to the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Federated States of Micronesia and Palau.
- At one of Silversea’s island stops, make your own message in a bottle. On the night before a beach day you’ve planned, write a love poem on a piece of parchment paper, roll it into an antique bottle with a cork and bury it in a well-marked spot in the sand near your towels. Be sure you “find” the bottle as you dig together — and have the ring at the ready.
- At a beach stop, head forto the beach and casually build a sand castle (at a safe distance from the ocean!), and place the ring on the highest turret. Then invite her to admire your handiwork.
- Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your stateroom ceiling. Get into bed, turn the lights off and wait for the inevitable gasp.
- Take your mate to the beach where “will you marry me” is spelled out in the sand
- Create your own crossword puzzle and be prepared to help her work it out over breakfast.
- Ask the Silversea chef to create a personalized fortune cookie with your own proposal message.
- Ask the Silversea chef to write, “Will you marry me?” in chocolate sauce around the rim of her dessert plate.
- Make the box holding her ring a selection on the dessert tray at the Silversea dining venue.
- Take the scavenger hunt high-tech: Using the ship’s wifi, send your mate a text message leading her to a secret location. Keep her engaged by text messaging her sweet nothings along the way (and directions, of course) as you lead her to you, on bended knee.
- Slip the ring on your mate’s finger while he/she is sleeping and wake your mate with champagne and strawberries.
- Turn off all the lights in your suite and make a trail of candles that leads to a circle of candles positioned around the ring.
- Use the ship’s PA system to propose to your mate.
- Propose during the total eclipse
- If your mate reads the newspaper aboard ship, create a dummy newspaper prior to the cruise which simulates a real newspaper like USA Today, NY Times, etc. and insert your proposal on the front page.
- Prior to going on the cruise sign up for snorkeling. You make a sign, and since you will be underwater, you need to attach it to something such as a rock or anchor. Pin the ring on your bathing suit. When snorkeling, go ahead and propose but be sure your mate does not choke; if overwhelmed, come up for air.
- Get the room steward to make a towel animal and then hand the ring around its neck while your mate is in the bathroom….have champagne on hand…the rest is up to you.
- Propose on deck at sunset or sunrise over water when most people are at dinner or in their cabins.