RING OF FIRE EXPEDITION #48 TO CHILE TO SEE THE TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN on JULY 2, 2019
AVAILABILITY AS OF 6/10/17 ** SOLD OUT. WAIT LIST ONLY **
If interested send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The 48th solar eclipse expedition of RING OF FIRE EXPEDITIONS will take place over the Pacific Ocean and South America to observe the next total solar. Join Paul D. Maley of the NASA Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society and Phoenix Astronomical Society for this exclusive adventure to observe it near La Serena, Chile. The tour starts and ends in Santiago, Chile and participants will be expected to obtain their own international air from their home town to and from the start point of our land tour.
Eclipses are so amazing that governments often produce commemorative stamps. Here is one issued more than 70 years ago for the total solar eclipse of 1942.
Although the path of this total eclipse stretches from the central Pacific Ocean to Argentina, the easiest land mass where we can access the path and also the one with the highest sun elevation is in Chile. Weather prospects are fairly decent for us to see totality unencumbered but there will likely be marine cloud present. Our plan is to venture inland toward the center line.
ITINERARY FOR OUR LAND PROGRAM JUNE 26-JULY 3, 2019
The gray band shows the path of the total eclipse as seen from Chile and Argentina. Map courtesy X. Jubier. Our route of travel: Santiago to the high desert area of Calama and back to Santiago. Then Santiago to La Serena and back. In both cases we will fly.
|June 26, 2019 (Wednesday) Day 1||Santiago|
Arrive Santiago – Panoramic city tour with lunch
Santiago area photo
Upon arrival at Santiago International Airport (SCL) and after clearing immigration and customs you will be met and transferred to your hotel. Then get ready for your Santiago city tour.
The tour begins with a visit to Bernardo O’Higgins Avenue better known as “Alameda”, which is the main street of the city. Proceed for a visit to the San Francisco Church, located in the heart of Santiago, built between 1586 and 1628 by the Franciscan order and is the oldest colonial era building in the country. It is then on to the Bohemian and gourmet district of Bellavista where you will get to see new hip restaurants, boutiques, and avant-garde galleries occupying loft spaces; also lordly mansions that punctuate tree-lined streets awash with colorful antique homes. Wander the street and rub shoulders with some of Santiago’s intellectuals and artists who call the neighborhood home. You then will be able to visit San Cristobal Hill. Rising 880 m / 2640 ft over the city – the second highest natural point in Santiago, you are offered panoramic views of the city with the statue of the “Virgen de la Inmaculada Concepcion” holding commanding views of the city. Visit “Forestal Park”, which runs along the Mapocho River which can best be described as water that penetrates the land. The river itself flows from the Andes and cuts the city of Santiago in two. You then travel to the heart of the city and Plaza de Arma, the spot from where the city has grown throughout the centuries. Visit some of the more important buildings such as the Cathedral, the City Council, the Central Post Office and the National Historical Museum. Continue to the Presidential Palace “La Moneda”– the current seat of the government. You will wander the streets that were once elegant at the beginning of the 19th century and now are a commercial center. Finally, you will visit the famous “Santiago Central Market” inaugurated 15th September 1872, a place where Chilean flavors and traditions are beautifully intertwined. Experience the famous and picturesque Seafood Stores. It is not a “looks don’t touch” visit as you will enjoy lunch at “El Galeon”, a restaurant specializing in Chilean cuisine. Return to your Hotel.
Overnight at Atton El Bosque Hotel. Dinner at a local restaurant (L, D).
|June 27, 2019 (Thursday) Day 2||Santiago to Calama|
Departure transfer to airport for your flight to Calama. Meeting upon arrival and then ground transfer to San Pedro de Atacama. Arrive and check in at the ALTO ATACAMA RESORT where you will spend the next 3 nights. Located at an altitude of about 2,300m/8,000 feet, temperatures in July can range from 78 deg F/ 22 deg C during the day to 28 deg F/-2 deg C at night. It is winter time in Chile. The Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa is the only lodge in the San Pedro region that is totally enveloped by natural surroundings. Located in the lush Catarpe Valley of the Salt Mountain Range, just over a mile from the plaza of San Pedro, the Alto Atacama’s design was influenced by local village architecture and conceived to blend seamlessly into its environment and appear as a part of the terracotta-colored ridge that rises behind it. The lodge is reportedly one of the world’s best places to see picture-perfect views of nearby galaxies and star clusters. There is a research-grade 16-inch Meade telescope on site in addition to a Dobsonian reflector.
One view of the Alto Atacama Lodge outdoor facilities
Here the following are included: round trip transfer to/from Calama Airport (CJC), lodging, breakfast, lunch, dinner and appetizers, open bar, great selection of Chilean wines. Also included are
-1 full day or 2 half day tours (see list of excursions after Day 8).
-Outdoor tours & Spa tours available
-Transfer to San Pedro Village from 9:00 am to 11:30 pm
-Bicycles available 24 hours
-Access to Puri Spa & Wellness with a sauna, 6 exterior pools, Jacuzzi inside and outside.
Alto Atacama doesn’t just do geriatric van tours. There’s also a technical ascent of one of Atacama’s most sacred icons, the 5912 m/19,409-foot Licancábur volcano; a 21 km/13 mile mountain bike ride to Cejar Lagoon, a saltwater sinkhole in the Atacama Salt Flat; or a 8km/five-mile sunset hike in the unearthly Valle de la Luna–the former testing grounds for NASA’s solar-powered Mars rover.
The Alto Atacama Lodge is built up against the mountains
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM: List of premium wines, massages and spa treatments (except for those included within spa tours), telephone calls, laundry service, airplane tickets, tips.
Overnight at the Alto Atacama Hotel. Night sky observation of celestial objects **(BLD)
**in all cases, weather permitting
|June 28, 2019 (Friday) Day 3||San Pedro de Atacama|
Even though Calama is a two-hour drive from Alto Atacama, the resort is over a mile away from San Pedro de Atacama’s town plaza. There is no TV or Wi-Fi available; the lodge’s 42 rooms overlook the Catarpe Valley and inspire you to set aside the outside world and embrace the Atacama’s easy-going nature. The terracotta-colored lodge’s low, earthy architecture and its rustic interior is influenced by the nearby village of San Pedro de Atacama and is enveloped by the Atacama’s natural beauty. There you can enjoy a swim in one of the lodge’s six private pools that circle an outdoor lounge that overlooks the red Salt Mountains, and open-air patios lead directly into the desert. Nearby, the lodge’s overly friendly llamas and alpacas munch on alfalfa and fallen algarrobo seeds and nudge guests for extra attention.
All inclusive program at Alto Atacama. Overnight at the hotel. Night sky observation of celestial objects. (BLD)
Hiking near the Lodge
|June 29, 2019 (Saturday) Day 4||San Pedro de Atacama|
All inclusive program at Alto Atacama. Overnight at the hotel. Night sky observation of celestial objects. (BLD)
The Dobsonian reflector at the Lodge
|June 30, 2019 (Sunday) Day 5||San Pedro de Atacama to Calama|
Transfer to airport for flight to La Serena via Santiago. Meeting upon arrival and transfer to your apartment-hotel. Afternoon discussion of the solar eclipse. Dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight at Vegasur Hotel (apartment).
Vegasur apartments in La Serena
|July 1, 2019 (Monday) Day 6||La Serena|
ELQUI VALLEY TOUR WITH LUNCH INCLUDED (FULL DAY) – We will start our journey going to the east, towards the Elqui Valley. Once there, we will visit the showroom of derived products from papaya, the Puclaro Reservoir, the main square of Vicuña city and its artisan village, the Bauer Tower and the pisquera plant where we will know the grape distillery process and we will enjoy their excellent varieties. Then, we will visit the towns of Paihuano and Montegrande, with its beautiful church and House – School Museum of our poet Gabriela Mistral. Afterwards, we will end the tour visiting the beautiful town of Pisco Elqui; there we can see the church and the square where we will find different kinds of artisanship.
Overnight at Vegasur Hotel (Apartment). (BLD)
|July 2, 2019 (Tuesday) Day 7||La Serena: Eclipse Day|
Morning free to get ready for the eclipse; prepare equipment, charge batteries, etc. At due time transfer to a place to watch the eclipse.
An example of “totality”. Photo by LeRoy “Max” Maxfield.
You may elect to remain at the hotel where you will have access to the room and bathroom facilities and observe the eclipse since the hotel is located inside the total eclipse path. About 2 minutes 12 seconds should be visible there. Alternatively you can go with us on the bus to the centerline where about 2 minutes 34 seconds can be seen. Time in Chile is GMT -3 hours so totality will happen about 5: 39pm local time with the Sun located at 13 degrees elevation above the west-northwest horizon.
General map of the region including the center line (blue line) where maximum totality can be seen if the sky is clear. Map courtesy X. Jubier.
After the eclipse return to the hotel. Dinner included at a local restaurant.
This evening we will tour the MAMALLUCA OBSERVATORY TOUR (VICUÑA)
The Mamalluca Observatory is located on a hill of the same name at the city of Vicuña. It is located 9 km/5.5 miles northwest of the town. The observatory opened in November 1998, a project designed by the Municipality of Vicuña together with the Club of Amateur Astronomy (CASMIA) and sponsored by the Inter-American Observatory in Cerro Tololo. Inside the dome there is a 12-inch telescope donated by AURA. It includes CCD detectors for electronic photography, as well as computer equipment for data transfer. The basic astronomy tour consists of 20 minutes talk, which presents different aspects of astronomy (concepts, images, research results, challenges, etc.), as well as simulations made on an astronomical software. After the talk, we will continue with outdoor observation where we can appreciate the wonders of the sky with the naked eye, including the Milky Way, constellations, star clusters, nebulas, planets, blue stars, red stars, etc. We will examine these objects with different telescopes, of diameters from 20 cm/8-inches to 40 cm/16-inches. The tour ends in the main computerized telescope located in the dome. Overnight at Vegasur Hotel (Apartment). (BLD)
|July 3, 2019 (Wednesday) Day 8||End of Tour|
Departure transfer to the La Serena airport for your flight to Santiago. Arrival at Santiago airport. (B)
THIS PROGRAM INCLUDES
- Hotel accommodation in twin/ double rooms at hotels mentioned or similar.
- Meals as indicated B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.
- All private transfers and shared sightseeing as mentioned in the itinerary.
- English speaking local guides with entrances to monuments during sightseeing as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Assistance upon arrival and departure.
- Baggage handling during arrival and departure check in and check out.
- At Alto Atacama: 1 full day excursion or 2 half day excursions
- Airport transfers as indicated
- Water bottles during drives and sightseeing as per itinerary.
THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Any international airfare or domestic airfare as it is far too early to get an accurate quotation for 2019. Current domestic airfare is about $900. for roundtrip Santiago to Calama and round trip Santiago to La Serena.
- Any services not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Meals not mentioned
- Airport taxes
- Visa fees and processing (currently no visa is required for US citizens)
- Trip Insurance
- Necessary inoculations (if required)
- Items of personal nature such as telephone, laundry, beverages
- Any items not listed above.
Some (but not all) of the EXCURSIONS AVAILABLE AT ALTO ATACAMA RESORT (1 full day excursion or 2 half day excursions are included in the price):
1. LICKANANTAI CULTURE
For the Lickanantai culture tour, the first stop is the archaeological site of Tulor. At 2400 years old and well maintained, the site has been of great value in understanding many aspects of local history. Then, you will travel to the village of San Pedro to explore the old city and its church. Finally, visit Pucara of Quitor; a Pre-Hispanic village that provides an outstanding example of original native heritage.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,480 m
Distance covered: 500 m walk (0,3 mi) / 11 km van (6,83 mi)
2. ROCK ART
This trip begins in the region of Hierbas Buenas. Here, you will find ancient petroglyphs, thousands of years old, which represent scenes of the local shepherd way of life, the people´s day to day lives and the growth of the farming communities. Having explored the caves and rock faces, move onto Rainbow Valley, so called due to the multicoloured nature of its hills and cliffs, caused by the build up of different mineral deposits and their reflection of the sunlight.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 3,250 m
Distance covered: 115 km van (71,45 mi)
3. HIGH ANDEAN VILLAGES
The first stop on this tour will be Machuca. Known locally as the ancient village of shepherds, Machuca offers an insight into traditional farming techniques and practices. Guests then continue to the Putana Vado, known for inhabiting a variety of native flora, fauna and birdlife species. Next stop is Caspana, another typical village of the Altiplano though noted for its representative architecture and strong cultural identity. After lunch at a local restaurant in Caspana, the journey continues to Chiu-Chiu, a former trading hub of the region. Chiu-Chius streets are best explored on foot, visiting the central church along the way. Finally, this exploration ends in the village of Lasan, stopping at the lagoon of Inka Coya en route, then back to the hotel.
4. HIGH CATARPE
During this tour, guests will hike to several lookouts of Catarpe. The first stop is a prime view across the Tambo Valley; this vantage point shows off the surrounding hills, farmland, and pastures. The walk continues past petroglyphs and rock carvings before hitting the Cordillera de la Sal, and a scenic descent down to the San Pedro River.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,550 m
Distance covered: 11 km van (6,83 mi) / 5 km walk (3,10 mi)
5. TAMBO CATARPE
The Tambo Catarpe tour is an extensive observation of the Catarpe Valley, and it´s many faces. Beginning with the church of San Isidro, guests will then walk the plateaus and gorges leading to Ancient Tambo, the financial centre of the Incan Empire. After exploring Tambo, a descent through the plateau leads down toward the San Pedro River as a fitting way to finish the expedition.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,510 m
Distance covered: 7 km van (4,34 mi) / 3 km walk (1,86 mi)
6. ANDEAN ORCHARDS
An “Ayllu” is a cultural organization developed by the highland communities, designed to preserve the social and cultural heritage of these vast territories. This tour will spend time with the Ayllu of Coyo, meeting the families who live here, learning their traditional cultivation and irrigation mechanisms, while tasting typical food of the area, prepared by a local family.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,490 m
Distance covered: 7 km van (4,34 mi)
7. VALLEY OF THE MOON
This tour allows guests to enter a sanctuary of nature and geology. The Valley of the Moon is a spectacular geological formation created through the conflicting pressures of the Andes and the Cordillera de Domeyko. As one of the most breathtaking and iconic views in the entire region, travellers from all over the world migrate here to enjoy the sun setting over the Valley.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,550 m
Distance covered: 25 km van (15,53 mi)
8. ATACAMA SALT FLAT AND TOCONAO VILLAGE
This varied tour starts with a visit to Toconao, a local village known for its masonry and architecture which is typical of the area, as well as its important agricultural heritage. Next, continue to Tamarug´s forest, a woodland region en route to the National Reserve of Los Flamencos, one of the most iconic and memorable spots to enjoy the renowned sunsets of the Desert.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,300 m
Distance covered: 64 km van (39,76 mi)
9. TATIO GEYSERS
“Grandpa crying” is the local name used to describe the Tatio Geysers, a geothermal field sitting at 4,321 meters above sea level. Beginning at dawn, you will explore the Geysers, which consist of large pools of boiling water and mud, fumaroles, and natural hot springs. This is also a good chance to appreciate the unique flora and fauna adapted to flourish in this extreme environment. On return, you will stop at Machuca, a traditional village previously used by local shepherds.
Duration: Full Day
Altitude: 4,321 m
Acclimatization: 2 days
Distance covered: 122 km van (75,80 mi)
10. THE SALT LAKES
The tour of Ojos del Salar takes us to two incredibly deep freshwater pools which emerge unannounced from the arid Desert plains. This trip is noteworthy for its conclusion on the banks the Turquoise Lagoon of Tebinquinche; we will arrive just in time for sunset. Tebinquinche is known as a unique location to experience the pallet of colours associated with Andean volcanic waters, and surrounding mountains as the sun sets and the light morphs across the ever-changing landscape.
Duration: Half day
Altitude: 2,410 m
Distance covered: 32 km van (19,88 mi)
11. ANDEAN LAGOONS, SALAR AGUAS CALIENTES AND TUYAJTO
This extensive excursion will take guests through the southwest region of San Pedro, initially voyaging into the Tropic of Capricorn at a crossroads where the Ecuadorian and Southern Chilean Empires met, an important location during the days of the Inca. The tour continues to Socaire, a local village known for its traditional Church and historical terraced plantations of quinoa and purple potatoes. Next, on to the high Andean Lagoons of Miscanti and Miñiques, formed as a result of ancient ice thaws, these crystal waters provide a natural sanctuary to observe the immensity of the mountains. The region is also a showpiece for the unique flora and fauna adapted to these high altitude conditions. The journey continues to Aguas Calientes and Tuyajto, near the border with Argentina. At a height of 4,000 meters above sea level, you can explore crystalline lagoons, known to reflect and mirror the contrasting colours of the surrounding mountain landscape, beautifully reflected in the still lagoon waters.
Duration: Full Day
Altitude: 4,300 m
Acclimatization: 2 days
Distance covered: 140 km van (86,99 mi)
12. WETLANDS AND PECAN MONKS
The Wetlands tour offers the chance to delve deep into the Andean landscape, observing a variety of wildlife. The first stop is the wetland park of Quepiaco, an important protected area in the region, and a great place to spot native bird species. Next it is the Salar de Pujsa, the largest reserve of its kind and the migration point for nesting flamingos to lay their eggs. Finally, guests visit the immense rock formations known as the “Pecan monks”, noted for their sheer size and sudden emergence from the Desert floor.
Duration: Full Day
Altitude: 4,500 m
Acclimatization: 2 days
Distance covered: 115 km van (71,45 mi)
13. SUNRISE IN THE ATACAMA (*)
The crystal clear salt waters of the Tebinquinche Lagoon, surrounded by the imposing Cordillera mountains, are our preferred location to witness the intense contrast of colour, texture and shadow of a high Andean sunrise. Here, you will see the landscape shift and change as the sun rises, and the light levels move across the plains.
Distance covered: 37 km van (22,99 mi)
Airfares (if quoted): Based on current fares and subject to change without notice UNTIL TICKETED. Airfares are based on the current lowest fare, and subject to availability of the applicable class of service. It may be necessary to re quote a fare at the time of booking, depending on availability. At time of final payment, please check for any applicable increase in taxes and fuel surcharges. Airfares are subject to different rules and cancellation fees. Some airfares may be non-refundable once ticketed.
Insurance: We strongly recommend Travel Insurance. Pre-existing conditions are covered PROVIDED Insurance premium is paid with deposit or within 14 days thereof. Alternatively, premium may be paid with final payment. Insurance cannot be purchased after final payment has been received by Future Travel. Insurance is non-refundable.
Tour documents: Final tour documents including day-by-day itinerary, hotel listing, air tickets & vouchers are sent between 30-15 days prior to departure.
PRICE and AVAILABILITY
IMPORTANT! WE HAVE ONLY A FEW SINGLE ROOMS BECAUSE OF EXTREME DEMAND IN THE ECLIPSE AREA AND LIMITED NUMBER OF PLACES TO STAY. PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE WILLING TO SHARE THE SAME ROOM.
$6803.*(cash discount price is $6479.) for each of 2 persons sharing
$8799.* (cash discount price is $8380.) for a single room (if one is confirmed to be available)
These prices are based on a minimum of 16 persons traveling together on the land tour.
When the domestic air is available in September 2018, we will notify participants so you can purchase that part of the package at an additional cost.
*Based on paying by credit card
We highly recommend travel insurance for the following reasons. There have been unexpected health problems for either participants or family members of participants that has caused some to cancel just before departure. In addition work related problems, weather and airline mechanical issues that have caused unacceptable flight cancellations and missed days or connections.
DEPOSITS AND CANCELLATIONS
HOW TO PAY
All payments are in US Dollars and can be paid in the following ways:
- IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA.
The fastest and safest is by electronic check instead of using the mail to get a check to Future Travel. Go to https://houstonwebsolutions.formstack.com/forms/ach_authorization and it can be debited directly from your account
Alternately the price above is quoted as if you pay by credit card. Hence the cash discount is less as Future Travel is charged 5% more by the card companies. To pay by credit card go to https://houstonwebsolutions.formstack.com/forms/credit_card_authorization_form
2. IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THE USA
You may pay by wire transfer which costs an additional $50 for the incoming wire fee. We can provide that information to you on request.
$500 deposit due immediately upon registration
$1250 additional due September 1, 2017
$1000 additonal due January 15, 2018
Balance due May 1, 2018
$250 penalty until September 1, 2017
$1000 penalty if canceled between September 1, 2017 and January 15, 2018
100% penalty if canceled after January 15, 2018
Deposits and cancellation penalties are driven by the terms and conditions provided to us by our ground operator(s).
To sign up for this tour, first, click HERE to fill out the registration form. Send a form FOR EACH PERSON in your party.
Then send in payment by one of the methods outlined above under DEPOSITS AND CANCELLATIONS
If you need a roommate, we will endeavor to get one for you but it is in your best interest to find a companion or you may/may not have one. If we/you cannot find a roommate you would have to pay the single supplement charges. Where we find a potential roommate it will be one of the same gender.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Your signature on our reservation form will signify your agreement with the following terms and conditions. These are the terms and conditions applicable to the Land Expeditions offered by Future Travel, Inc. a Texas corporation (“we”, “us” and “our”). The terms “client” “you” and “your” refer to each person who purchases and/or participates in the Cruise.
1. Solar eclipse tour 2019 ITINERARY: The itinerary on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 Website and any other materials is hereby included in this agreement. However, the Tour Operator, reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary as explained in this agreement. For more information: (281) 480-1988 or (800) 929-9004 or email email@example.com.
2. Solar eclipse tour 2019 PRICE: Prices are based on two persons sharing accommodations. There is additional cost for a single accommodation (single supplement) or an extra person in the room if either of these features is available. Prices may be subject to increase as described in this agreement.
3. DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT REQUIREMENTS: If you sign up before the dates posted on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 webpage, a deposit in the amount stated on the webpage is due along with your signed reservation form in order to secure your reservation, which is subject to availability at the time we receive the form and deposit. Dates and deposit amounts vary depending upon the trip. Failure to meet those deposit dates will result in cancellation of your reservation and loss of deposit as defined under the cancellation penalties portion of the webpage. If the Tour is sold out at the time we receive your reservation form and deposit, we will contact you and ask if you wish to be added to a waiting list. We reserve the right to accept or decline any prospective participant for any nondiscriminatory reason in our sole discretion. All reservations must be paid in full by the date specified. Spaces not paid in full by this date are subject to cancellation without refund and will be charged a $250 late-payment fee.
4. Solar eclipse tour 2019 CANCELLATION BY YOU: We are making arrangements with travel suppliers that require us to incur very substantial costs of operation. Therefore, if you cancel, we will retain all of your payments as liquidated damages. However, if you find a replacement for yourself or any other members of your traveling party, we will charge a change fee of $250 as specified on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 webpage. We must receive the written (email is sufficient) notice of the change and a signed/scanned reservation form from the new participant. If we receive notice of the change after specified date, we will not provide a refund. There is no refund for unused portions of Solar eclipse tour 2019 once it has commenced. You are solely responsible for costs incurred by you due to missed, canceled or delayed transportation. Your decision not to participate on Solar eclipse tour 2019 due to State Department/other US or foreign government warnings, fear of travel, illness, or any other reason will be deemed a cancellation. If a flight or other delay for any reason prevents you from joining Solar eclipse tour 2019 on the departure date and time, you will be considered a no-show, and we cannot provide a full or partial refund or credit toward a future Tour, but you may join Solar eclipse tour 2019 late at your expense. There are NO exceptions to our cancellation policies.
5. OTHER CHANGES: There will be a change fee of $75.00 per person charged for any change in travel arrangements made after ticketing and at least 30 days prior to departure in addition to charges incurred by our suppliers. No changes will be allowed within 30 days of the departure date.
6. INSURANCE: We strongly recommend that you purchase insurance in case of trip cancellation and medical problems, as well as medical evacuation insurance to cover the cost of a private jet to return home. We will send you insurance information if you request it from us. However, any questions about what travel insurance does or does not cover should be addressed directly to the travel insurance company. If you decline insurance coverage, you will personally assume full responsibility for any financial loss associated with your travel arrangements, and you could lose your travel investment and/or have to pay more money to correct the situation. For example, you will suffer a loss if: (i) your flight has been cancelled and your hotel and Tours are nonrefundable; (ii) you need to cancel your trip due to illness; (iii) a hurricane, volcano or earthquake occurs while traveling and you are stranded; (iv) your cruise line, airline, or Tour operator files for bankruptcy, unless you have paid by credit card; (v) a terrorist incident occurs at the destination you planned on visiting; (vi) you have a medical emergency in a foreign country and need medical attention or evacuation; (vii) your bags are lost and your medication is in them, and you need to have an emergency prescription filled; or (viii) your passport and wallet are stolen, and you need emergency cash and a replacement passport. We offer Travel Guard Travel Insurance to residents and will provide costs associated with insuring your trip, both at time of deposit and final payment. If you live in another country, you must buy such insurance there.
7. Solar eclipse tour 2019 PRICE INCREASES: In the event that the cost of any aspect of Solar eclipse tour 2019 should incur an unexpected cost increase, Future Travel is obliged to pass on these increases. While rare, they can occur and are beyond the control of Future Travel. When such increase is known, Future Travel will alert all participants and provide the amount and reason for the increase. It will be required that all Tour members provide payment by the date due per communication from Future Travel. Prices are also subject to increase for currency fluctuations and the cost of supplier services.
8. Solar eclipse tour 2019 AIRFARES: Airline arrangements are usually optional and not included in the tour price unless specifically stated. Airlines and airfares included in your trip are subject to change without notice. Please check with us for conditions applicable to your airline ticket. Airfares are subject to price increases until you have paid in full. Even after you have paid in full, airfares are subject to supplemental price increases imposed by governments, and you hereby consent to any such price increases. We will not change your requested seat assignments on commercial aircraft without permission. However, airlines often change seat assignments to satisfy their loyalty members or because of equipment changes (aircraft type). We are not notified of these changes in advance, and often clients are not made aware of these changes until they arrive at the airport. We are not responsible for seat assignment changes made by the airline. Frequent flyer programs are private agreements between airlines and passengers, and we cannot be held responsible for mileage discrepancies involving airline loyalty reward programs.
9. Solar eclipse tour 2019 ECLIPSE (or other astronomical event) VIEWING: We understand that you have decided to participate based on your ability to view the astronomical event advertised as the highlight of Solar eclipse tour 2019. While we will do our best to arrange for the viewing, we cannot guarantee that there will be no cloud cover, that the group will be in the planned position, or that there will not be another reason beyond our control that prevents viewing. Therefore, we will not be liable or responsible for any loss, damage, cost, or expense of any kind in the event that such viewing is not possible for any reason including but not limited to any act of God, war, fire, collision, directions of underwriters, arrest, order or restraint by any government agency or official acting under color of authority, acts of terrorism, labor disturbances or disputes, civil commotion, weather conditions and considerations of the safety of the ground transportation being used, (for which the Ground Operator shall be the sole judge), breakdowns of or damage to the transport vehicle, requisition of the vehicle by governmental authority, illness, death of a family member or other cause or circumstance beyond our control.
10. Solar eclipse tour 2019 CHANGES OR CANCELLATION BY GROUND OPERATOR OR US: The Ground Operator in its sole discretion may cancel, advance, or postpone any part of the tour, change the itinerary, and may (but is not obligated to) substitute another transport vehicle, and we will not be liable for any loss whatsoever to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, or substitution. If the Solar eclipse tour 2019 is completely canceled by our Ground Operator, we will provide a full refund, or, if the Solar eclipse tour 2019 is partially canceled, we will provide a partial refund depending on any refund provided to us by the Ground Operator. Under such circumstances, Future Travel shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind. We reserve the right to cancel the Tour for inadequate participation, in which case we will provide a full refund of the Solar eclipse tour 2019 price and shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind. Please note that the availability of any refund for travel insurance and/or other travel products (airfare and hotel), even if purchased in conjunction with Solar eclipse tour 2019, will be determined in accordance with the applicable cancellation policies for such other products or services. Sightseeing is subject to change due to weather conditions, accessibility, border crossing limitations, and hours of operation. Sightseeing will be by motor coach or other transportation as stated in the itinerary.
11. OTHER RIGHTS OF Ground Operators: You may request a copy of the Ground Operator’s Passage Contract, which constitutes your agreement with the Ground Operator. The contract provides that the Ground Operator may exercise its rights in a variety of matters. We have no liability for a full or partial refund of the tour fare, or for any lodging or transportation expenses, as a result of the Ground Operator’s exercise of its contractual rights.
12. SAFETY WHILE ON Solar eclipse tour 2019: You assume sole responsibility for your own safety during Solar eclipse tour 2019. We do not guarantee your safety at any time. You acknowledge that all Excursions /Tours, however conducted, airline flights and ground transportation, are operated by independent contractors. Future Travel neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation, either express or implied, as to their suitability. These services are provided only as a convenience for you, and you are free to use or not use them. You agree that Future Travel assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to you and/or your property in connection with these services.
13. PASSPORTS AND VISAS: International travel requires a passport valid 6 months beyond your intended return travel date. In many cases, you will also need to have multiple consecutive blank visa pages within your passport (the number varies depending on the destination(s)). Many destinations also require that visas be obtained prior to travel. Please speak with us if you are unsure about the visa requirements for your travel destination, but you are solely responsible for complying with passport and visa requirements. Your name, as listed on your travel documents, must exactly match your name as listed on tour or airline documents. Citizens of other countries must make their nationalities known to Future Travel at registration and are responsible for obtaining proper documentation to enter the U.S. and any other countries involved.
14. MEDICAL CERTIFICATION AND PASSENGERS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS: By booking the Solar eclipse tour 2019, you certify that: (a) you are in good general health and capable of performing normal activities on the Solar eclipse tour 2019; (b) you are capable of caring for yourself during any expedition and will not impede the progress of the trip or enjoyment of other Solar eclipse tour 2019 participants; (c) you understand that any expedition may take you far from the nearest viable medical facility; and (d) all expedition members must be self-sufficient; and (e) you have not been recently treated for, nor are aware of, any physical, mental or other condition or disability that would create a hazard to yourself or other Solar eclipse tour 2019 participants. Any condition that may require attention or treatment must be reported in writing at the time your reservation is made. Transport may be refused to any person whose state of health or physical conditions render them, in the opinion of the Ground Operator, unfit. Participation in this or any other Solar eclipse tour 2019 will be denied to any person who will enter her third trimester (twenty-seventh week) of pregnancy by the time of the Solar eclipse tour 2019 or during the Solar eclipse tour 2019 and to children under the age specified on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 Webpage—usually 16. You must notify Future Travel at the time of booking of any disability or other medical or physical condition that may require special assistance during the Solar eclipse tour 2019. Your failure to do so will release Future Travel from any liability for loss, damages or other compensation arising from or related in any way to such disability or condition. Future Travel and our Ground Operator(s) reserve the right to require that any passenger who is not self-sufficient must travel with a companion who takes responsibility for any assistance needed during the Solar eclipse tour 2019 and in case of emergency. You understand that if you fraudulently represent yourself as fit for this tour, you may be removed prior to or during the Tour at your own expense.
15. CONDITION OR BEHAVIOR: We may exclude you from participating in all or any part of the trip if, in our sole discretion, your condition or behavior renders you unfit for the trip or unfit for continuation once the trip has begun. Unfitness may include, without limitation, any behavior that, regardless of its cause, is inappropriate or offensive or interferes with the delivery of our services, or may constitute a hazard or embarrassment. In such case, our liability shall be strictly limited to a refund of the recoverable cost of any unused portion of the trip.
16. CHILDREN: We normally accept children if they are the age of 16 and older (thought the minimum age may vary by Tour), although some Tours are for adults only and are specified as such. Children must be accompanied and supervised by parents or guardians, who will bear ultimate responsibility for their actions, and are expected to display proper decorum while the group is together, especially at the observation site and on all transport vehicles.
17. LUGGAGE ON BOARD: Each guest may bring on board a reasonable amount of baggage. It is recommended that participants do not bring expensive jewelry or like possessions with them. Telescopes and observation equipment should be securely packed; insurance on expensive items is highly recommended. All luggage must be stored in the passenger’s accommodations. Pets, dangerous or illegal items such as weapons, explosives, combustible substances, non-prescription controlled substances, or illegal drugs may not be brought on Solar eclipse tour 2019. Any such items shall be surrendered to security at embarkation and may be disposed of at the sole discretion of the cruise line. All luggage hand-carried or checked, and your person are subject to security inspections that may involve physical search. Curbside porters are available at the pier during embarkation to take luggage to the vessel. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name, and contact information. We assume no responsibility for checked or carry-on luggage. Any luggage left anywhere on Tour will be forwarded at the guest’s expense if discovered. IF YOU ARE BRINGING A TELESCOPE OR ANY UNUSUAL EQUIPMENT, YOU MUST PROVIDE A LIST OF SUCH ITEMS TO FUTURE TRAVEL SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE THEY ARE ALLOWABLE. WE WILL PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS RELATED TO CUSTOMS FORMALITIES.
18. TRANSFERS: When transfers between hotels and airports and the pier are included on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 price, transportation of participants and their baggage is provided only when participants travel with the rest of the group. If your schedule is different from this, private transfers are available at extra cost and must be requested in writing. Carry-on bags must be carried by Solar eclipse tour 2019 participants. Porterage may be included AFTER passing through the customs area upon arrival if so indicated in the inclusions. Porterage is generally not included unless otherwise stated in the individual itinerary inclusions. In some situations, porterage may not be possible. Be sure to consult the cruise information to be sure.
19. TAXES AND TIPS: If a land package is involved, tips are not included (unless stated), but taxes for hotel accommodations and airfare are generally included. Departure taxes within foreign countries are NOT included since they vary widely. Each airport departure may require a separate departure tax which will have to be collected from each participant prior to boarding an airline or ship. Tips are NOT included for guides, or drivers. Future Travel will provide guidance on tips, when they should be given and how collected. Although the amounts and timing may differ, this is left to each person’s discretion. There will be times when the Tour escort or guide will alert participants as to whom and how much to tip. These actions are necessary in order to maintain good service and assure that all promised services will occur as scheduled.
20. WHAT ELSE IS NOT INCLUDED ON OUR TOUR: Cost of passports or visas, excess baggage, meals and beverages not specified in the itinerary, phone calls, voluntary changes in flights or other methods of transport, laundry, insurance costs, and items or services of a personal nature not specified in the cruise itinerary.
21. MEDICAL CARE: You assume all risks associated with travel and transportation on the Tour. While on the Solar eclipse tour 2019 or along the way to/from the Solar eclipse tour 2019, the availability of medical care may be limited and/or delayed. You acknowledge that all or part of the Solar eclipse tour 2019 may be in areas where medical care and/or evacuation may not be available. You agree to indemnify and reimburse Future Travel and its ground operators in the event that these entities by their sole discretion, advance to you the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation and/or medical care provided ashore, as well as transportation and/or lodging in connection therewith. Future Travel shall have no responsibility to advance any such costs.
22. ROOMMATES:If you are traveling by yourself but wish to share a room with someone else, we will attempt to match men with male roommates and women with female roommates, along with smoking/non-smoking preferences. However, the ground operator prohibits all smoking on tour. If we cannot find a roommate for whatever reason we will advise you and have to charge you the single supplement fee. You may wish to look for a roommate from your local astronomical society, family or friends. Your decision to accept a roommate for the tour is at your own risk. Future Travel is not responsible or liable for any and all claims or cause of action arising out of or in connection with your acceptance or selection of a roommate for the tour, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from such request or selection.
23. SMOKING: Smoking is prohibited on our Solar eclipse tour 2019 buses, the astronomical event observation site, and in briefing and lecture rooms as well as in hotel rooms and any other places where the group is congregating.
24. INFORMATION: Information that we publish in our Solar eclipse tour 2019 brochures, collateral material and the Solar eclipse tour 2019 Website is believed to be accurate and reliable. We make no representations or warranties regarding such information or any information provided by a third party. Unless expressly stated in writing, we do not endorse the products or services offered by any company or person identified in our brochures, collateral material or Website, nor are we responsible for any content published by a third party.
25. RESPONSIBILITY: We act only in the capacity of agent for the suppliers of the travel services named in your itinerary or otherwise providing services or goods in connection with the tour (the “suppliers”), such as airlines, hotels and other lodging providers, local hosts, sightseeing tour operators, bus lines, car rental companies, driving services, restaurants, and providers of entertainment. We assume no responsibility for any personal injury, property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any act or omission of any of the Suppliers.
26. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: In no event will we be liable for any injury, loss, claim, damage, or any special, punitive, exemplary, direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability, or otherwise, that arise out of or are in any way connected with the tour even if advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will our aggregate liability exceed the total tour price set forth in the itinerary for any occurrence including, but not limited to: (1) injury, death or delay of passengers, or loss, damage or delay of or to passengers’ baggage or other property, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Solar eclipse tour 2016 including, without limitation, passenger’s use of or participation in any excursion, on concession or athletic or recreational activity; (2) your request for or selection of a roommate for the tour; (3) emotional distress, mental suffering or anguish or psychological injury of any kind under any circumstances (except when such damages were caused by Future Travel’s negligence and resulted from the same passenger’s sustaining actual physical injury, or having been at risk of actual physical injury, or when such damages are held to have been intentionally inflicted by Future Travel); (4) any change in scheduled Solar eclipse tour 2016 events and/or celebrity appearances; (5) the Tour Operators’ exercise of its contractual rights; or (6) or (if you are entering into this agreement on behalf of yourself and your, group, party, or traveling companions) any claim arising out of their assertion that you were not authorized to agree on their behalf. You further agree that Future Travel shall not be held vicariously liable for the intentional or negligent acts of any persons not employed by Future Travel, nor for any intentional or negligent acts of Future Travel’s employees committed while off duty or outside the course and scope of their employment. In the event that a court of competent jurisdiction holds any of the foregoing to be unenforceable, then Future Travel’s liability shall be limited to the maximum extent permitted by law. In addition to the restrictions and exemptions from liability provided in these Terms and Conditions, Future Travel shall have the full benefit of any applicable laws providing for limitation and exoneration from liability, and nothing in contained herein is intended to operate to limit or deprive Future Travel of any such statutory limitation of or exoneration from liability.
27. FORCE MAJEURE: We assume no responsibility for any personal injury, property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any matter beyond our exclusive control including but not limited to a delay or cancellation that causes you to miss all or any portion of the Solar eclipse tour 2019, acts of God, acts of government, war, terrorist acts, riots, disaster, weather extremes, or strikes. We have no special knowledge regarding the financial condition of the suppliers, unsafe conditions, health hazards, weather hazards, or climate extremes at locations to which you may travel. You understand that health care standards, facilities, and services abroad may be different or even inadequate for treating health conditions. It is the responsibility of each Tour participant to obtain health and medical certificates, inoculations and vaccinations. For information concerning possible dangers at foreign destinations, we recommend contacting the Travel Warnings Section of the U.S. State Department at (202) 647-5225 or www.travel.state.gov, and click on “Travel Warnings.” For medical information, we recommend contacting the Centers for Disease Control at (877) FYI-TRIP or www.cdc.gov/travel.
28. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited by law, you (the Lead Passenger and all members of your party) expressly agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action against Future Travel arising out of or connected with the Tour shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Houston, Texas, U.S.A. to the exclusion of the courts of any other state, territory or country; (2) you waive any venue or other objection that you may have to any such action or proceeding being brought in any court located in Houston, Texas; (3) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with the Solar eclipse tour 2019, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (4) you waive the right to claim any other damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct or indirect damages. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas. You agree to present any claims against us within 30 days after the Solar eclipse tour 2016 ends and to file within one year of the incident, and you acknowledge that this expressly limits the applicable statute of limitations to one year. NEITHER PARTY MAY INITIATE OR BE PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR LEGAL PROCEEDING AGAINST THE OTHER.
29. INDEMNIFICATION: You shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless us and our officers, employees, directors, suppliers and agents, in their individual capacities or otherwise, from and against any losses arising out of: (i) your negligence; (ii) your failure to comply with applicable law; or (iii) your failure to comply with these terms conditions.
30. ASSUMPTION OF RISK:You acknowledge that you have voluntarily applied for the Solar eclipse tour 2019. You understand that you may travel to countries and areas that are inherently risky. You are prepared to assume risks associated with Solar eclipse tour 2019 including forces of nature, terrorism, civil unrest, war, accidents, and transportation including land vehicles, boats, and aircraft that are not operated and maintained to the standards found in North America, and you hereby assume such risks. You also assume risks associated with altitude, illness, disease, physical exertion, and alcohol consumption, knowing that access to evacuation and/or suitable medical supplies and support may not be available. You agree to take full responsibility for your own actions, safety and welfare. You also understand that you will be a member of a group and will conduct myself in a way that will not endanger the group or yourself.
31. MISCELLANEOUS: We may assign our rights and/or delegate all or a portion of its duties under these Terms and Conditions to any third party at any time without the consent or permission of any parties to these Terms and Conditions. If there is a conflict between these Terms and Conditions and one or more terms contained in another agreement between you and us, these Terms and Conditions will control. No alteration, cancellation, variation of, or addition to these terms and conditions shall be of any force or effect unless reduced to writing and signed by us. If there is a conflict between any part of these terms and conditions and any present or future law, the part that is affected shall be curtailed only to the extent necessary to bring it within the requirements of that law.You hereby consent to our use of pictures or video of you in our marketing materials without compensation.Facsimile or scanned transmission of any signed document shall be deemed delivery of an original.